Ameritas CEO JoAnn Martin Elected ACLI Chair
WASHINGTON, D.C., (October 8, 2018) — The American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI), whose member companies provide financial and retirement security to 90 million American families, elected its chair, officers and ACLI Board of Directors at the 2018 ACLI Annual Conference today.
Ameritas CEO JoAnn Martin will serve as chair for the next year. She succeeds Mark Mullin, president and CEO of Transamerica Corporation, who will now serve as ACLI immediate past chair.
“Life insurers provide consumers with the confidence that comes with knowing that their families’ financial futures are protected from life’s uncertainties,” said Martin. “I look forward to working with ACLI and the board to ensure state, federal and global policymakers know the important role the life insurance industry plays in consumers’ lives and in the economy.”
“JoAnn is an effective leader with a keen understanding of the issues affecting the life insurance industry and its policyholders,” said Susan Neely, president and CEO of ACLI. “With her leadership, ACLI will continue to enhance our advocacy on behalf of our members and the 90 million American families who have entrusted life insurers with their financial and retirement security.”
ACLI also selected Daniel J. Houston, chairman, president and CEO of Principal Financial Group, as chairman-elect. He will become ACLI chairman during the annual conference in October 2019. ACLI’s chairman-elect designate post was awarded to Ted Mathas, chairman and CEO of New York Life. He will become ACLI chairman in October 2020.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2019:
- Roger Crandall, chairman, president & CEO, MassMutual;
- J. Scott Davison, chairman, president & CEO, OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc.;
- John Johns, executive chairman, Protective Life Corporation;
- Dennis Johnson, president & CEO, United Heritage Life Insurance Company;
- Rod Martin, chairman & CEO, Voya Financial;
- Richard McKenney, president & CEO, Unum Group;
- Barry Stowe, chairman & CEO, Jackson National Life Insurance Company;
- Cynthia Tidwell, president & CEO, Royal Neighbors of America.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2020:
- John Barrett, chairman, president & CEO, Western & Southern Financial;
- Gary Bhojwani, CEO, CNO Financial;
- Esfand Dinshaw, chairman & CEO, Sammons Financial Group;
- Mark Haydukovich, chairman, president & CEO, Oxford Life insurance Company;
- Michel Khalaf, president, U.S. & EMEA, MetLife;
- Joseph Monk, senior vice president, financial services, president & CEO, State Farm Federal Savings Bank, State Farm Insurance Companies;
- Kirt Walker, president & COO, Nationwide Financial;
- William Wheeler, president, Athene;
- John Woerner, president, insurance & annuities, chief strategy officer, Ameriprise Financial, Inc.
Serving on the ACLI Board of Directors through 2021:
- Marianne Harrison, president & CEO, John Hancock;
- Thomas Leonardi, vice chairman, AIG Life Holdings, Inc.;
- James T. Morris, chairman, president & CEO, Pacific Life Insurance Company;
- Deanna Mulligan, president & CEO, The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America;
- Steve Pelletier, executive VP & COO, U.S. businesses, Prudential Financial;
- Paul Quaranto, chairman, CEO & president, Boston Mutual Life Insurance Company;
- John Schlifske, chairman & CEO, The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company;
- Neil Sprackling, president, life and health U.S. business, Swiss Re America Holding Corporation;
- Eric Steigerwalt, CEO, Brighthouse Financial.
The chair and the board of directors set policy and guide the actions of the association, which represents the life insurance and retirement security industry in Washington, D.C., the states and internationally.
The American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI) advocates on behalf of 290 member companies dedicated to providing products and services that promote consumers’ financial and retirement security. 90 million American families depend on our members for life insurance, annuities, retirement plans, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance, reinsurance, dental and vision and other supplemental benefits. ACLI represents member companies in state, federal and international forums for public policy that supports the industry marketplace and the families that rely on life insurers’ products for peace of mind. ACLI members represent 95 percent of industry assets in the United States.
To learn more, visit acli.com and our blog, ACLI Perspectives, at acli.com/perspectives.
Follow us on Twitter: @ACLINews
Connect with us on LinkedIn: linkedin.com/ACLI
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/ACLINews