Life insurers’ core business is to provide solutions that protect the financial and retirement security of all Americans. Promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce that reflects the communities they serve is essential to this mission.
Companies have implemented programs to increase opportunities and create an inclusive environment for women, minorities, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans. Life insurers have received recognition for their efforts from the media and independent organizations, including:
According to an industry survey by the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI):
- 98% actively recruit employees from traditionally under-represented communities.
- 97% have company-supported resource groups for employees from traditionally under-represented communities. All allow employees to participate in these groups as part
of their regular job responsibilities.
- 95% regularly assess their progress in achieving diversity and inclusion.
- 94% have policy affirming their commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- 92% have a chief diversity officer or an employee whose primary responsibility is diversity and inclusion.
Note: Percentages based on industry assets
As society and work change, life insurers will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive workforce that is committed to delivering the benefits of protection to all Americans.
Publications and Resources
ACLI diversity and inclusion infographic, 10/10/2019
ACLI Chairman letter to NAIC President, 8/11/20